What is a “Friends” Group?
What is a Friends Group? A Friends Group is a non-profit, charitable organization – a separate entity from the municipality and the library - formed to support the library in their community. A Friends Group can, literally, make the difference in a library’s budget by supplementing funds for books, subscriptions and programs. Since the beginning of the American library movement, Friends groups have been formed by community members to do everything from running a book sale to ensuring that their local library remains viable. By contributing as a library Friend, financially and/or with your time, you can make a lasting difference for your library.
The Friends of Stowe Free Library is a non-profit organization and its mission is to help support the collections and programs of the Stowe Free Library. In particular, the mission of the Friends is to foster close relations between the Stowe Free Library and the Stowe community by developing human and financial resources, sponsoring activities and programs, and promoting knowledge of Library resources.
Since its inception in the spring of 2006, the Friends of the Library have provided much support to the Library, including, but not limited to:
· the successful annual summer book sale, adding an ongoing, year round book sale inside the Library
· Provides a subscription to BookPage, the popular monthly book review magazine, free to our patrons
· Provides area Museum and attraction passes, offering free or reduced admission to many sites
· Continued support of the “In Our Own Backyard: Meet the Author” series
· Funds the library's DVD collection
· Funds the e-book subscription for children
· Expand the Library’s children’s programming including: performers as well as a summer intern to help with the children's programs
· Raised significant funds through the Book sale and other special events for special projects as well as general use
· Co-sponsor the Stowe Performing Arts gazebo Concert series held for 4 weeks on the library lawn each summer
We are looking for new members- community support in cultivating new programs at the library, book sale set up and break down (perfect time for community hours!!), gardening, and so much more!! Please consider joining the Friends of SFL and being an active member of a vital community resource!
Thank you in Advance for all your continued support.
Friends of the Stowe Free Library